Justia Lawyer Rating
MSBA Badge
Maryland Association for Justice
Bar Association of Frederick County

Third Party Custody Lawyer

Establishing Custody of the Child

There are times when a person who is involved in the child’s life has taken responsibility to care for a child. Many times it is grandparents who act as parents for the child. Sometimes it would be a third party who is acting as a parent for the child. The biological parents are unwilling or unable to care for the child. There might be an emergency circumstance which requires a third party to step in and act as parent for the child. This may probably require court intervention for purposes of protecting the child. If you are seeking third party custody of the child, you have to present your case before the court to acquire custody of the child. The burden is on the person who is requesting custody of the child. That burden of proof is very high. It is not easy. In fact, it is a very high burden to prove obtaining custody of a child if you are a third party. Should you decide to obtain custody of a child as a third party, call the Soubra Law Firm at (301) 219-5038 to figure out how to retain an attorney who an assist you in acquiring custody of a child.

If you have grave concerns for the child’s welfare and safety because the parents are unfit to care for the child, the court may award custody to grandparents or third parties. Each circumstance is unique and different. In these types of cases in family law, no two cases are the same. There are circumstances where a court may find parents unfit which include the following:

  • Mental illness
  • Child abuse
  • Child neglect
  • Drug abuse
  • Alcohol abuse
  • Prison
  • Other reasons depending on your case

If a third party parent has cared for the child, the court will look into what change of custody would have on the child and what type of effect it can have for the child. The court has its standard for the child which is in the best interests of the child. The court is a court of equity when it comes to these child custody cases.

Grandparents or third parties who are seeking custody or visitation rights will need an attorney who can help them advocate the rights of the child. The Soubra Law Firm is here to help you when it comes to difficult situation as such if you retain this Law Firm to represent you in such a complex matter.

Maryland Grandparent Custody Attorney

We represent individuals in Frederick County, Montgomery County, Washington County, and Carroll County as well as throughout in Maryland when it comes to grandparent or third party custody cases. To schedule an appointment, please call 301-219-5038.

Grandparents Seeking Visitation Rights Over a Child

There are times grandparents want to have some sort of consistent schedule with their grandchildren. The ability to meet that burden to establish a schedule with children is very difficult. If you are in situation where you are a third party seeking to set a visitation schedule with a child who you are not parents of, it is a good idea to speak to an attorney who practice in the area of family law to learn about what rights that you may have.

Pursuant to Maryland law, third parties like stepparents, grandparents, uncles, and aunts have no rights to visitation except in rare instances. In these instances, these are very hard cases to win. Should you need representation in such a case, the Soubra Law Firm is here to help those who need an attorney in situations like that. Call the Soubra Law Firm at 301-219-5038 to discuss what rights if any you or the child may have in these circumstances. We have assisted people throughout Maryland in family law matters. We can help you to see what rights you may have and see if you can pursue a visitation with a child who you are not a parent of.

As your Frederick Third Party Custody and/or Grandparent Attorney, the Law Firm is here to serve Frederick, Montgomery, Washington, and Carroll Counties as well as the remaining Maryland area. The Firm would like to be your Third Party Custody and/or Grandparent Lawyer.

Client Reviews

Very courteous when I inquired about representation.

Cessaly D. Hutchinson

I was recently involved in an automobile accident which resulted in my car being declared a total loss. In addition, I spent some time receiving medical care. Following an attempt to seek compensation from the responsible party’s insurance company, I realized that I needed to obtain legal help to...


Helped me fight some bogus case that md didn't have jurisdiction over and he's very friendly and approachable oh and did I mention affordable? Best lawyer I've met in a long time!!!!


Get in Touch

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Over 15 Years of Experience
  3. 3 Personal Attention to Your Case

Fill out the contact form or call us at 301-219-5038 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message